E-bikes are electric-enhanced bicycles with a motor, battery and computer display. They provide a quiet and non-polluting boost to your own pedal power, so you can ride farther and faster with less effort. These bikes offer quick and easy-to-control power and a long-lasting removable battery that can be easily and quickly recharged at any household outlet. E-bikes are available as complete bikes or as pedal assist kits that can be installed onto almost any bike.
Sweet Pete's has now been selling and servicing electric assist bikes for 10 years. We know the bikes and systems, how they work and what option will work best for anyone interested in owning an electric assist bicycle. We stock both complete E-bikes from brands like Trek, Electra and Giant and pedal assist kits from the long time industry leading Canadian company, BionX.
Read on to learn more about the various E-bikes and pedal assist systems we sell and service.
Bikes like the Trek Conduit+ and Lift+ and Lift+ Lowstep and Powerfly 5 feature the reliable and easy to operate Shimano STEPS electric assist system. These lightweight (from 20kg) and ultra-comfortable bikes feature smooth, controlled and unbelievably fun power boost with stable and confident handling from the well balanced mid-drive motor. The easy to charge at home (4 hrs for full charge) down-tube battery means very little down time and the freedom to mount a rear rack for cargo. Explore Trek Electric Bikes
We're stocking the state-of-the-art Giant QuickE+ transit bike designed for the person who wants to travel quickly and easily in an urban enviroment. Featuring Hybrid Cycling Technology which combines your pedal power with a electric motor from the experts at Yamaha to produce the most efficient, powerful (80nm) and natural E-bike riding experience. Adding to that experience is Giant's new PedalPlus 4-sensor technology, which precisely measures the amount of force a rider is applying to the pedals so that the motor delivers a seamless power boost.
The Townie Go is a battery-powered, pedal-assist bike that lets you ride like the wind without breaking a sweat. Featuring a very quiet Bosch frame-mounted mid-motor for a super stable ride and the ability to adjust your cadence based on speed. The balloon tires glide over any surface with unlimited traction. Multi-gear functionality lets you control output and battery life. And of course, it looks as awesome as it rides. The combination of Townie’s Flat Foot Technology® with Bosch’s legendary performance is a match made in heaven. Explore Electra Electric Bikes
BionX E-Bike Systems
BionX E-bike Systems make it easy for you to turn almost any bicycle into a powerful and efficient electric bike. These systems allow more people to consider leaving the car at home, and doing more on their bicycle then they ever thought possible. BionX is made up of an electric motor incorporated into the rear wheel, a rechargeable battery and a control console. The system analyzes your torque input and feeds that information to the motor, which applies electric assist in proportion to how hard you're pedaling. The harder you pedal, the more torque the system senses, and the more electric assist you get. The power is seamlessly applied and never distracting, so you can just enjoy the ride. All BionX systems come with Regenerative Braking, so when you squeeze your bike’s brake lever, energy is sent back to the Li-Ion batteries, helping them recharge. With motors of varying strength and frame or rack mounted battery packs, you can create an e-bike perfectly suited to your needs. Learn more here
Commonly Asked Questions
Electric assist bikes have been around for years but with new motor and battery technology, today's E-bikes have come a long way. Here are answers to some of the questions we hear regularly,
1) How far can I go on one charge? The exact range of all of these E-bikes is influenced by factors like terrain, rider weight, weather and what power assist level you select but on average the E-bikes we stock feature a range of 60 to 135 km per charge.
2) How long does it take to charge the battery? The batteries on the bikes we stock take anywhere from 3 to 4 hours to reach full charge.
3) How much do these bikes weight? With different sizes and makes of batteries, motors and frames, the weights can vary. Bikes like the Trek Lift+ weigh from roughly 20.32 kg (44.8 lbs) all the way to 25.4 kg (56 lbs) for the Electra Townie Go. The Giant Quick-E+ weighs 23.4 kg (51.2 lbs) and the Trek Powerfly 5 weighs approximately 22kg (48.5 lbs). The BionX system will add about 8.8 kg (19.4 lbs) to the weight of the bicycle.
4) What kind of warranty do these bikes come with? Trek's Ride+ bikes as well as Giant's E-bikes and BionX all feature a 2 year warranty (or 600 charges, whichever comes first) on motor, controller, & battery pack for the original owner only. Both the Trek and Giant E-bikes come with a lifetime warranty on the frame and rigid fork.
5) How fast can I go on these bikes? The E-bikes we sell have a limited speed of 32 kph ( 19.9 mph).
6) How old do I need to be to operate an e-bike? All operators and passengers must be at least 16 years of age.
7) Do I need a license to ride an e-bike? Electric bikes are classified as bicycles, therefore no license, registration or insurance is required.
For further information on what is and isn't allowed in regards to E-bikes in Ontario please click here